Semblance of normalcy in Pincourt amid COVID-19 outbreak
PHOTO BY JOHN JANTAK
Pincourt Mayor Yvan Cardinal, standing outside the entrance to city hall, says he thanks all residents for following provincial government recommendations to stay home over the past two months and respecting social distancing measures.
As the province begins to slowly relax restrictions related to the COVID-19 virus in Quebec, Pincourt Mayor Yvan Cardinal said the city has been providing its residents with uninterrupted services for the past two months amidst the epidemic.
Special protocols have been put into place to ensure the health and safety of its employees is being maintained, Cardinal told The Journal. While walk-in traffic into city hall has been suspended for the past two months, citizens can still obtain services by contacting the city by phone or email. Employees are also communicating with each other through teleconferencing and maintaining social distancing while on the job.
“Everything is going well at city hall,” said Cardinal. “It’s the same thing with our firefighters. They are working on two different teams. They can respond to different situations at the same time. We’re doing everything we can to make sure our employees stay safe.”
Information regarding the current status of COVID-19 is provided on the INFO-P phone app and city’s website. “It’s to make sure people know what’s happening and stay safe,” said Cardinal.
Mayor thanks residents
The mayor expressed his gratitude to all residents for being mindful about the current situation and respecting the stay-at-home request made by the provincial government in mid-March. Cardinal said the town did its part by closing parks and the library, and prohibited social activities at the Omni-Centre while citizens have avoided gathering in large groups during the height of the epidemic.
“Our citizens have respected the regulations that were put in place by the provincial government and have given us excellent cooperation. We haven’t had any problems about that,” said Cardinal. He also welcomed the news from the provincial government that stores with an exterior entrance will be able to reopen on May 25.
The town has noticed an interesting trend among homeowners. “In April, we issued more permits this year than last year for people who want to work on their properties. Everyone is at home so many people want to do renovations,” said Cardinal.
Summer day camp still uncertain
The town is still awaiting word from the provincial government on whether it will be able to open its day camp for the summer. With the return to school on the Island of Montreal and some Vaudreuil-Soulanges municipalities postponed until the end of August, Cardinal said he’s not sure whether day camps will be granted an exemption because of the current COVID-19 situation.
“This is the big question mark. We’re still preparing to open the day camp but we have to wait until we receive word from the government. If will be difficult for the day camp if it reopens. We have over 500 kids who attend every year. Not everyone will be able to attend because of the social distancing regulations. It will be impossible,” said Cardinal.
“It will be tough as mayor to tell parents we will only accept half the number of children and to say no to families who need the service,” Cardinal added.
Work on the new fire station and municipal garage have also started recently and the city is putting its final touches on the new pedestrian promenade on Chemin Duhamel.