• John Jantak

Vaudreuil-Dorion revises housing development back to four storeys


THE JOURNAL FILE PHOTO/JOHN JANTAK

The site for the planned housing development is on the west side of Route de Lotbinière between Rue Émond and Rue Lalonde in the Dorion sector of Vaudreuil-Dorion.

The City of Vaudreuil-Dorion has decided to scrap plans for a six-storey residential project on Route de Lotbinière and has reverted the scale of the project back to its original four-storey concept.

The decision by city officials was made after they reviewed concerns made by area resident Domenique Asselin who first raised issue about the height of the proposed six-storey building and the potential adverse effects it could have on the nearby residential area during question period at a council meeting on October 21 last year.

Possible contravention

Asselin told council at the time that the city’s original Programme particulier d’urbanisme (PPU) which was adopted in 2015 stated that new buildings within the area were to be between two to four floors high and that the six-storey building would contravene the city urban development plan protocol for the area just south of Harwood Boulevard.

The new six-storey height requirement came about through a by-law change that was adopted by the city in 2017, which reportedly contravened the building height limitations for the area.

PHOTO BY JOHN JANTAK

Resident Domenique Asselin at the Vaudreuil-Dorion council meeting on January 20. Asselin said he’s pleased the city will revert the scope of a new residential project on Route de Lotbinière from six storeys back to four storeys.

Citizen’s persistence

The city initially said the project did not contravene the height restrictions. Asselin persisted in trying to get the city to revise the scope of the project by continually raising the issue at subsequent council meetings. He even presented council with a petition signed by about 100 residents who were opposed to the proposed six-storey project.

Asselin insisted he was never opposed to the development project – he just wanted the city to go back to their original development plans. City officials looked into the matter and eventually found the revised by-law for the proposed six-storey building was not in accordance with height limits that were imposed in its urban development plan for the area.

‘Good news for the democratic process’

“I think it’s good news for the democratic process, especially when you get a group of people together to try to investigate something you think might be problematic. Well we actually got the city officials to look into it and they found there was a flaw and that the situation can be corrected according to the concerns of the citizens,” Asselin told The Journal.

“It was really a good decision by the city to go back into the process to look into the matter. I’m definitely happy about the change but I’m also cautious about what’s coming up next. I’m going to continue to follow the situation to see if there are any changes in the near future or to see if the city goes back on their decision,” said Asselin.

While Asselin hasn’t yet spoken to his neighbours about the city’s change of plans, he’s certain they will be pleased with the decision. “I definitely think that the people who signed the petition will at least be a little bit happy with the reduced scope of the project. It’s in accordance with the neighbourhood’s vision,” Asselin said.

Clerical error

Mayor Guy Pilon said the city made a clerical oversight by omitting to put details about revised six-storey building plans into another document. “Like I always said, we’re going to check to see if there was a mistake made, and if there was, we would correct it. It seems there was a little thing that was never done that we were supposed to do,” said Pilon.

“We were left with three choices. The first option was to build a four-level building, or we could have just changed a few words in the document and ask people if it was okay to go back to its original 10-level concept or we could have completely changed the project and redo everything. We decided go with the population and the four-level proposal,” added Pilon.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Archive
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Instagram Social Icon
Archives
Sections
Current Issue
ylj-2018-transparent.png

Sports

  • Facebook App Icon
  • Twitter App Icon
  • 2016_instagram_logo

             © 2020 The Journal.