• John Jantak

Ste. Anne’s council supports development restrictions despite threats of legal action


PHOTO BY JOHN JANTAK

Ste. Anne de Bellevue council took a united stance in support of the PPU urban development plan for the northern part of the city despite threats of legal action by the promoters.

Ste. Anne de Bellevue residents showed their support for council’s decision to stand firm regarding its new Plan Particulier d’Urbanisme (PPU) during question period at the Monday evening council meeting January 23, despite threats of legal action by three developers under the group name Développement Immoblier Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue (DISAB) if the urban development plan isn’t revised.

Mayor Paola Hawa said council is united in its resolve to maintain the new PPU, particularly regarding development of the city’s northern sector that was presented during a public information session last December. Council is expected to adopt the PPU at its March public session.

Under the new PPU, only 15 per cent of the land owned by DISAB will be allowed for development and the remaining 85 per cent will be set aside as part of the environmentally sensitive L’Anse à l’Orme environmental corridor.

Hawa claims DISAB is actively waging a disinformation campaign against the city by providing inaccurate information about the situation on its website choisirsadb.com/the-project/?lang=en.

The website homepage asks residents whether they favour, “A real estate project in the northern sector that respects the environment and biodiversity and will have a positive tax impact for residents” or “The protection of a site with limited environment value that could lead to a nearly 55 per cent increase in your tax bill.”

DISAB also distributed postcards through the mail to all Ste. Anne’s residents informing them about the city’s plan to curtail their development plans and sent lawyer’s letters to Hawa and all six councillors advising them of legal action if the PPU isn’t modified.

Hawa said the developers knew well in advance when they purchased the land in fall 2012 that its eventual usage could be changed by the city. She added that DISAB was using fear-mongering tactics by trying to get council to revise the PPU and expects it to become an issue in the upcoming municipal election this November.

“We have worked with our lawyers since the beginning of this process,” said Hawa. “We are confident of our position as council. It’s unfortunate that the developer has taken a position amounting to fear mongering.

“One thing we do understand as a council is that we need to be united on the issue because there’s so much pressure on us from the promoters. We’re solid in our stance and no one is going to budge us,” added Hawa.

Resident Lucie Marceau thanked council saying, “I’m in complete agreement with the position taken by council regarding the PPU that was presented last month. I hope the citizens and council members do not allow themselves to be intimidated by the promoter regarding the future development of our territory.”

Sue Stacho, a member of Sauvons l’Anse à l’Orme and the Green Coalition, was also pleased with council’s position saying she wished that Pierrefonds-Roxboro would be more proactive in preserving their portion of l’Anse à l’Orme by restricting or prohibiting future development.

“We are happy that (Ste. Anne’s) council is willing to take risks in assessing the ecological value of l’Anse à l’Orme, but as a group, the Green Coalition and Sauvons l’Anse à l’Orme want 100 per cent of that corridor protected,” said Stacho.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Archive
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Instagram Social Icon
Archives
Sections
Current Issue
ylj-2018-transparent.png

Sports

  • Facebook App Icon
  • Twitter App Icon
  • 2016_instagram_logo

             © 2020 The Journal.