New cinema in struggling Pincourt mall

PHOTO BY JOHN JANTAK

Groupe Quint along with its partners Le Groupe Maga announced that Cinémas Guzzo plans to build a 12-screen movie theatre at the Faubourg de l’Île shopping plaza which will feature both English and French language movies.

Pincourt could be in the midst of a modest commercial development revival after two large banners were spotted hanging on the sides of the Faubourg de L’Île shopping mall facing Boulevard Cardinal-Léger and Highway 20 announcing the eventual arrival of a new cinema complex.

The news was confirmed by Your Local Journal during a telephone interview Tuesday afternoon with Groupe Quint President Ian Quint, the owner of the Faubourg de L’Île, which is working in partnership with Le Groupe Maga. The planned 12-screen theatre will be a part of the Cinémas Guzzo chain and will feature both English and French language movies.

Quint said this will be the first movie theatre that has been built in the area within the past 10 years. Construction is set to begin in the summer of 2017, although Quint said there is no current timeframe as to when it will be completed because the planning is still in the preliminary phase.

He anticipates the theatre will attract more auxiliary tenants – from boutiques and restaurants - that will eventually set up shop in the mall. “We’re very excited by it,” said Quint. “It’ll be great for the residents on Île-Perrot and a great destination.”

Richard Dubois, Director of Urban Planning had no immediate comment about the proposed cinema saying the town still hasn’t received complete details about the full scope of the project.

The announcement is good news for Pincourt which has been trying to revitalize the Faubourg with its current and previous owners. Groupe Quint purchased the mall in January. While there is some commercial activity, at least 20 store fronts are unoccupied.

The lack of commerce at the mall has resulted in a loss of about $1 million in tax revenue over a three-year period from 2013 to 2015 because of the reduction in tenants. An additional $1 million could be lost over the next three years if the vacancy rate isn’t lowered, said Town Manager Michel Perrier during an interview in July, 2015.

Despite the loss of tax revenue from the Faubourg, the town’s commercial tax stream has been augmented by a commercial revival on Boulevard du Traversier in the past two years with the opening of two major hardware chains and a bank located within a small satellite shopping area.

Last week, the wooded lot at the southeast corner of Cardinal-Léger and du Traversier across the street from the Faubourg was clear cut to make way for a new chicken rotisserie restaurant, said Dubois.

“We basically gave the first permit which is the preparation of the site itself,” Dubois said. “We have the plans and everything else for the construction of the building but the permit has not been issued yet. We’re still verifying details. We suppose it will be open within 2017 but we don’t have any dates yet.”

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Archive
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Instagram Social Icon
Archives
Sections
Current Issue
ylj-2018-transparent.png

Sports

  • Facebook App Icon
  • Twitter App Icon
  • 2016_instagram_logo

             © 2020 The Journal.