Montée Cadieux closure results in significant detour
PHOTO BY CARMEN MARIE FABIO
The April 29 news that the two-lane Montée Cadieux overpass traversing Highway 40 in Vaudreuil-Dorion between Route Harwood and Jean-Lesage Street is closed indefinitely has a number of area residents expressing dismay about the detour and lack of information on when, or whether, it will be reopened.
“We presently don’t know,” said Ministère des Transports du Québec Spokesperson Isabelle Buisson. “The bridge was closed as a preventative measure following an analysis carried out last week.” Buisson said inspectors found an important zone of concrete was compromised and delaminating from the freeze-thaw cycle in which the interior rebar has rusted and expanded. They then ordered the structure closed immediately.
“The analysis is necessary to determine the next step,” said Buisson, indicating it’s premature to project a date for a repair or replacement.
There is currently no metal screening affixed to the bridge’s underside with which to contain falling concrete, an interim solution seen on many of the province’s concrete elevated roadways.
“We will be carrying out regular inspections, particularly during seasonal temperature changes, to determine the risk of falling concrete fragments,” said Buisson, “and if it’s determined that the metal security grill is needed to contain the delamination, it will be installed.”
The closure means motorists trying to head westbound from Vaudreuil sur le Lac must double back onto Highway 40 from Joseph-Carrier Street and St. Charles Avenue which has already seen an increase in traffic flow following the opening of the new Costco outlet.