Hudson Director General says further legal action against former DG possible
PHOTO BY CARMEN MARIE FABIO
Hudson's newly hired Director General Jean-Pierre Roy says he'll be in attendance for all Louise Léger-Villandré's court appearances in order to determine if the town can take further action to recoup the $1.1 million allegedly misappropriated.
Former Hudson Director General Louise Léger-Villandré’s trial for allegedly misappropriating $1.1 million in municipal funds has encountered another in a string of delays at the Valleyfield Courthouse Monday, November 23.
“Mr. Longpré was not available this morning,” said Léger-Villandré’s lawyer Robert La Haye of Crown Prosecutor Mathieu Longpré who was pleading a case before a judge and jury at the Montreal Courthouse. “He can’t interrupt that to come here.”
Léger-Villandré was present at the courthouse. The charges she faces include forgery; use, trafficking or possession of (a) forged document, and breach of trust by a public officer. She was arrested October 2014 following an investigation by Unité permanente anticorruption (UPAC) investigators after the Town of Hudson administration discovered internal financial irregularities.
Newly hired Director General Jean-Pierre Roy, a former lawyer, was present at the courthouse and said he plans to be at all the court appearances to hear the evidence against Léger-Villandré to ascertain whether anything else can be done to recoup the missing funds.
“We want to understand the aftermath for the Town Hudson and what remains for the citizens,” he said. “What can we do? Who can we sue?” Roy said the town may take further legal action against Léger-Villandré or anyone found to be complicit in her alleged crimes.
The Town of Hudson is also seeking to recoup $600,000 in subsidies for the water filtration project that were denied when it was revealed the bids did not follow proper procedure. “The Ministry of Municipal Affairs said there was no call for tender for three contracts,” said the DG.
Roy said the town has only a six-month window with which to take legal action following the disclosure of the evidence. The UPAC team has seized a number of documents from the town and Roy said once they’re returned, the town will decide its next legal step.
La Haye would not speculate on any potential for plea bargains saying it would be premature and unfair to all parties to be discussing this at this time.
The maximum prison sentence for a fraud case is 14 years; though Longpré has said previously the fact that Léger-Villandré had no prior convictions would likely be taken into consideration if she was found guilty.
The case has been remanded to December 10.