• Jules-Pierre Malartre

Île Perrot ecocenter open for business


Vaudreuil-Soulanges MRC Prefect and Très-Saint-Rédempteur Mayor Jean A. Lalonde (center right), and Deputy Prefect and Pincourt Mayor Yvan Cardinal (center left) amid other local mayors, Pincourt councillors and offi cials during the June 9 ribbon cutting at the Île Perrot ecocentre in Pincourt.

The Vaudreuil-Soulanges MRC and the Town of Pincourt inaugurated the Île Perrot ecocentre June 9. This reuse and valorization center located on the premises of the Pincourt municipal garage will service all four Ile Perrot municipalities, supplementing the services already provided by the Vaudreuil-Dorion ecocentre. “Our residents take environmental issues very seriously,” said Jean A. Lalonde, MRC Prefect and mayor of Très-Saint-Rédempteur. “Since its inauguration, over 26,000 residents have visited the Vaudreuil-Dorion ecocentre, which means that 28 per cent of all MRC households have valorized their materials.”

The MRC inaugurated the first regional ecocentre in Vaudreuil-Dorion in April 2013. The first of the five originally planned ecocentres provides residents with valorization services for most items not already targeted by municipal recycling collection programs. Despite the lower participation of certain areas, the MRC reports very successful results for the first two years of operation. The Île Perrot ecocentre will offer similar but closer-to-home services to local residents. Given the success of the first ecocentre, Lalonde added the MRC decided to go ahead with the development of other ecocentres to offer similar services with better proximity to other residents.

According to Lalonde, the Rigaud and Saint-Zotique ecocentres should start their operations this fall. “The objective of the new ecocentres is to reduce the travelling time of residents and to encourage an even greater participation,” Lalonde added. Presently, the Île Perrot ecocentre will only be accepting three types of materials, including dry construction materials (ceramic, gypsum, melamine, glass, windows, toilets, etc.); treated wood and plywood (timber, furniture made out of wood, pallets); and excavated materials (asphalt, cement, bricks, stones, gravel and sand, but excluding dirt). According to statistics compiled by the MRC, these materials represent approximately 70 per cent of all items brought to the ecocentre. The remaining 30 per cent, including small appliances, electronic components and chemical products, residents will still have to be brought to the Vaudreuil-Dorion ecocentre for now.

“This is a pilot project at this point,” said Simon Richard, Communications Advisor for the MRC. Richard said the MRC will monitor usage and demand over time and accept more items in the future. Pincourt Mayor Yvan Cardinal was the first resident to avail himself of the new ecocentre services with a demonstration run-through of a typical visit. Cardinal reminded all in attendance that some items should be disposed of through other means than the ecocentres.

For example, a broken vacuum cleaner can be brought to the Vaudreuil-Dorion ecocentre where it will be disassembled into components that can be recycled, but a vacuum cleaner that is still in working condition would be better donated to a charitable organization, such as L’Actuel in Vaudreuil-Dorion. Cardinal said building awareness is a key component of the success of the ecocentres. Items that can be reused or recycled still find their way into garbage bins and ultimately into landfills that are fast becoming a rare commodity in the province of Quebec.

According to the Ministère du Dévelopment durable, Environnement et Lutte contre les changements climatiques, 13 million tons of waste materials are produced in Quebec every year. Quebec’s Policy on Waste Management calls for the elimination of all but ultimate waste from landfills sites by 2020. The Île Perrot ecocentre is located at 750 Olympique Boulevard in Pincourt and is open to the public 1 to 6 p.m. Monday to Friday and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. Residents can drop off a total of 12 cubic meters of materials per year.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Instagram Social Icon
Current Issue


Monday to Thursday: 9:30 A.M. to 4 P.M.

Friday: 10 A.M. to 12 P.M.


Telephone: (450) 510-4007

  • Facebook App Icon
  • Twitter App Icon
  • 2016_instagram_logo

             © 2020 The Journal.