St. Mary’s Church in Como to reopen May 24 following major restoration
PHOTO BY JAMES PARRY
Built of Quarry Point stone in l866, Hudson’s St. Mary’s Church will open once again on May 24 after a year of extensive restoration.
Closed for just over a year for much needed work both outside and inside with restoration to its historic Chapel, St. Mary’s Church at 261 Main Road will celebrate its reopening on Sunday, May 24, at 9 a.m.
“Everyone in the congregation is absolutely delighted,” said parishioner, Wanda Bray, when Your Local Journal arrived to take a photograph earlier this week. “And we invite everyone in the community to drop by and see for themselves this truly wonderful Chapel that was consecrated in 1869 and has been the place of worship for so many long-time Hudson and Como families ever since.”
A sister church of St. James’ Anglican Church in Hudson, St. Mary’s was actually built in 1866 to accommodate local Como residents who found the five-mile walk to St. James’ too far to walk and too bumpy a ride. The foundation stone was laid by a certain Bishop Fulford, the same year that marked the Rev. James Pyke’s 25th in Vaudreuil Parish. Land for the site was secured from John Hodgson and the structure was built of stone from nearby Quarry Point. Excerpts from Pyke’s parish history describe the Chapel as, “…a small stone building. Gothic, with an open roof.
A large stained glass window in the eastern end rather out of proportion. And a beautiful white stone font.” He also reports that the Chapel cost $1,600 apart from the memorial windows, one of which was commissioned by the family of glass-blower, Thomas Hommel, who settled in the village. Explained Bray, “May 24 is also the celebration of Pentecost when the very first gathering of worshipers together was formed. Today we call this a church, but back then it was where they could meet and raise praise. Come celebrate the restoration.”